Not 2 minutes after finishing the last post, I called up that church and asked them what their plans were for the stained glass windows. Word of advice to myself. Never just let something go. I asked and they gave. I jumped in Luke’s truck and took off in the pouring rain back to the church. Two of the demolition workers were still there working in the rain and they helped me pick two of the windows out and load them up. I am so glad I didn’t just let it go!!!
2 1/2 weeks and $156… I am tired but very happy with the end result!
White, white, and more white… I was sick of white.
Ahhhh.. I call it a Steel Blue… In the morning it takes on a more grey tone and then by afternoon a more blue tone.
Crown Molding finished off the new clean look and I am ready for a nap!
Before: stark white and not a calming place for mommy, the cook, to work.
After: Steel blue and calming. No clutter around the top of the cabinets.
I am loving it!
Doors are down, started painting trim and drawers.
I am using an oil based paint so it is slow going. I do a little at a time and take a break because I could really mess it up with my “enthusiasm”.
Trim is done now on to the doors.
Cleaned then primed.
Hung then painted.
The final two!
I am waiting for my father-in-law to help me cut and hang the crown molding and then I will show you the finished room. *exhaling*
Day 2 was all about the hinges. Since this kitchen cabinet project is all on a strict budget, I had to figure out how to deal with what I have so I can save money for the things I really want (like new cabinet knobs). So these hinges will have to be doctored up.
The cabinet hardware has been in this house since it was built in ’98 so I knew they were going to need a good cleaning before I started experimenting on their facelift.
Hours later they are the cleanest, ugliest hingest around.
Laid out to dry.
Now on to my doctoring. I really have no idea if this will work but like I said I have to try to save money.
Spray second. Going for a silvery nickel finish.
Ahhh.. much better! That will save me about $150 – $200.
Before: Yellow built-in bookshelves with lots of clutter. That is all I saw whenever I looked at this room. Clutter framed in yellow. Ugh!
I have never liked this room but could never get away from it because it is attached to our kitchen and breakfast room. I was constantly reminded of how awful it was and how much I wanted it to change. But no more!
After: I painted over the yellow with a Creamed Coffee color and also did the same with the walls. I took all the comfy furniture and moved it to the former “Piano Room” where my kids can now lay on the carpeted floor and watch tv. There is no tv behind the doors above the fireplace and no kids will be drawn to this room. It is now MY room! I decluttered the shelves and left only pictures with a few odds and ends but the rest went to the attic.
Ahhhh, peaceful room!
I got up Thursday morning and met my friend, Angie, for a morning walk. When I arrived back home at 9am, I found Luke on the back deck trying to make the lattice board that covers our purgola look a bit less worn. After a brief conversation, I was heading up a ladder with a drill while Luke was heading to Lowe’s with his measurments.
Oh, that’s where it went.
I spent the first hour and half taking up the screws and throwing the pieces over the side. I wanted to finish before Luke got back with the new materials. It seems I thrive on competition of any kind.
I pulled up a corner piece to find this empty birdnest.
While I am perched on top of the pergola, Luke is down manning the circular saw and throwing the new pieces up to me.
Finally putting down the new stuff.
Finishing up the details.