After being off my ankle for almost 2 weeks, I got back to running this past week.
That first day running was a little nerve racking. My ankle was stiff and hurting for the first quarter mile but once it loosened up, I was good to go.
This is my favorite place to run and I was a little nervous that Luke wouldn’t let me go back. =)
So after only 3 runs last week, I felt ready for my first race. My sister-in-law, Amy and her sister Julie and I ran in the Great 8 where proceeds benefitted the Boys and Girls Club of Rock Hill. It was a 5 mile race around Winthrop Lake and the surrounding neighborhoods and gardens.
My mantra that I continued to chant to myself was, “I will not be last. I will not be last.” I really only had the goal of finishing and showing myself that my ankle was better. I wanted to finish around 1 hour and came in at 1 hour and 2 minutes.
So that was the first race in my list of races that I am signed up for over the next 2 months.
This is my countdown.
- 8K run at Winthrop University – finished last weekend
- 10K run at Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC – 16 days
- Come-See-Me 5 K run here in Rock Hill, SC – 23 days
- USMC Mud Run in Columbia, SC – 37 days
- Girls on the Run 5K race with my daughter – 38 days
- Twisted Ankle 1/2 marathon Summerville, GA – 58 days